PGD | Gender Selection
Couples have some doubts about the genetic health of the next baby and sometimes the gender of the next baby due to both family planning and environmental, genetic and psychological reasons. In addition to this healthy baby dream, in recent years, couples undergoing IVF treatment process by making gender choice. However, the PGD, which has been used as a method of gender selection in our center for many years, can be done especially for genetic screening purposes.
PGD Genetic screening with 99% success
- gender of the next baby, especially where inherited diseases related to the sex chromosome is known,
- common chromosome anomalies such as Down Syndrome, Turner Syndrome etc.
- single gene disorders such as Cystic fibrosis, Thalasemmia, Muscular Dystrophia, Sickle Cell Anemia etc. (advanced)
Cyprus PGD Treatment Stages
- The PGD treatment process starts with detailed tests asked from the mother and father who will be treated in our Cyprus Miracle IVF by Dr. Firdevs.
- On the 2nd or 3rd day of mother’s menstural period, preparation of the mother's follicules for the treatment starts. This egg development process can be carried out in the city where the couple lives. In this stage, the mother's eggs are developed using several injections. Injection usage period can be 10-12 days approximately. These injections only provide follicule development during that period. They have no effect as extra weight gain or disrupting the menstrual cycle.
- The egg development process ends with a single injection called triggering injection. This injection makes the developing eggs ready for the egg processing.
- At this stage of the PGD treatment, approximately 36 hours after the triggering injection, all the follicules formed are collected by our IVF specialist Gyn. Op. Dr. Firdevs Uğuz Tip. As the egg collection process is performed under a very low dose of anesthesia, the mother does not feel any pain or discomfort. This process takes only 10-15 minutes according to the number of eggs. After the procedure, the mother immediately recovers and continues her daily life within 1-2 hours without any discomfort.
- Within the same hour of egg collection, sperm is taken from the father and the best sperm cells are selected by our embryologists under special microscope. With selected sperm cells, the mature egg cells of the mother are fertilized directly by ICSI - microinjection method.
- After fertilization, the embryos are left to develop within our special incubators for 3 days. Embryos may undergo this process in incubator or in an Embryoscope depending on the preference of the couples.
- On the 3rd day of fertilization, single-cell byopsies are taken from developed embriyos and PGD procedures applied to taken cells.
- After having the genetic results, the best quality and healthy embryos are transferred to the mother's womb on the 5th day of the fertilization. Embryo transfer process, accompanied by ultrasound, is a painless process. Painless, just like an ultrasound scan. It lasts only 5-10 minutes and the mother is fully awake and follow the transfer of her babies into the her womb.
In which cases PGD should be applied?
- Genetic disorders related to the sex of the baby,
- Sex selection before pregnancy especially due to medical issues related,
- In couples with chromosomal disorders that can be inherited to the baby,
- In case of couples' relative marriage,
- If a baby is born with a chromosomal abnormality before, then it is possible to have a baby with syndrome again,
- Women who want to be a mother after the age of 35,
- Genetic disease carriers,
- In women over 35 years of age, they have a fear of having an amniocentesis.
PGS | Next Generation Sequencing
Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) is a new technology for genetic testing procedures in IVF treatments that can increase the percentages of live births. As Cyprus Miracle IVF by Dr. Firdevs, we're proud to bring this latest technology of DNA sequencing.
IVF treatments are based on successfull treatments with the transfer of developed embryos, resulting with a live and healthy baby. In IVF treatments many technologies are used for genetic diagnostic such as PGD, FISH, AcGH etc. Most common used genetic method is PGD method as couples usually wish to determine their future baby's gender with common genetic disorders.
Differences between PGD and NGS
Main difference between PGD and NGS is that, in Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) on the day 3 of fertilization, biyopsies are taken from the embryos (when they are 8-Cells) and 5 chromosomes, including sex chromosomes are examined during the process. In Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), biopsies are taken on the day 5 of the fertilization (trofoctoderm biyopsy from blastocyst embryos) and all of the 23 chromosomes are examined.
Other main difference is the time period. In PGD, as the results of the genetic method can be obtained in 2 days, couples need to come to Cyprus only once and all treatment process can be completed from egg collection to embryo transfer in 6 days. In NGS, as genetic screening process takes quite long time, couples need to come to Cyprus twice. First visit for the egg collection and fertilization, second visit for embryo transfer process for healthy embryos. In NGS, time period between egg collection and embryo transfer is approximately 2 months.